This is sad news for everyone. At least the little guy lived a full life.
Giant tortoise, 100 years old, was a symbol of the Galapagos.
QUITO, June 24 (Reuters) – Lonesome George, the last remaining tortoise of his kind and a conservation icon, died on Sunday of unknown causes, the Galapagos National Park said. He was thought to be about 100 years old.
- Galapagos tortoise Lonesome George dies (abc.net.au)
- Lonesome George, the last La Pinta giant tortoise, dies in the Galapagos Islands (news.nationalpost.com)
- Famed Galapagos tortoise Lonesome George dies, a conservation icon (foxnews.com)
- Lonesome George, last member of species of Galápagos giant tortoise, dies (guardian.co.uk)
- Famed Galapagos tortoise dies – Boston.com (boston.com)