This space mining could arrive much earlier that anticipated. China is rushing ahead full speed with its space program and they have made huge strides in a very short span of time. I look forward to the First human on Mars in the next 5 to 10 years.
GOLDEN, Colo. — Mining the plentiful resources of the moon and near-Earth asteroids could alter the course of human history, adding trillions of dollars to the world economy and spurring our species’ spread out into the solar system, a new breed of space enterpreneur says.
By 2020, Shackleton hopes to become the world’s foremost space-based energy company, providing rocket propellant, life support, consumables and services in low Earth-orbit and on the moon to spacefarers.
The technology now exists to access resources from near-Earth asteroids, and Planetary Resources’ mission is to make that happen, Lewicki said.
- Extraterrestrial Mining Could Reap Riches & Spur Exploration (space.com)
- $ETI and the steps to exolife [Dynamics of Cats] (scienceblogs.com)
- Mining asteroids could boost space exploration (newscientist.com)
- Asteroid miners explain just how they are going to do it (mining.com)
- Asteroid takeout – a one-billionaire mission to bring a 500-ton asteroid to Earth by 2025 (arstechnica.com)