I have more faith in private enterprise than in government sponsored endeavours. Let’s face it, governments are incompetent in carrying out anything major, while private companies due to their keen interest in making the project actually work and being cognizant of the limited amounts of funds they have will make the project work, as opposed to governments unlimited tax payer and fiat printed money.
Mars One, a private company in the Netherlands has reached out to commercial space companies to help settle Mars. To be funded by the what could be the biggest media event in history – A ‘big brother’ type show broadcast from Mars.
- Reality Show on Mars Could Fund Manned Colony by 2023 (space.com)
- The Red Planet Show: Can Mars One’s Reality TV Pay for Space Colonization?! (singularityweblog.com)
- Introducing Mars One, the reality television program that will broadcast live from Mars [Video] (io9.com)
- Dutch reality TV show about humans colonising Mars (lostateminor.com)
- Extraterrestrial Mining Could Reap Riches, Spur Exploration | Space.com (nadernazemi.com)