This is tragic, but at least he died doing what he loved. Playing a game with millions of followers; Diablo.
The years of anticipation for Diablo III have brought about a number of marathon play sessions since its release on May 15, but one fan’s obsession with the game has proven fatal.
He woke up when approached, but collapsed after a few steps and was rushed to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead. An autopsy is pending, but authorities noted that the long period of sitting still could have created blood clots, which proved fatal.
Sadly, it’s not the first game-marathon-related death in Taiwan this year. In February, Chen Rong-yuhad a fatal heart attack while playing in an Internet café in Taipei while playing online smash hit, League of Legends. Fellow players, though, didn’t notice he had died for another nine hours.
- Diablo death: Teenager dies after playing video game for 40 hours without eating or sleeping (mirror.co.uk)
- Teenager dies after playing Diablo III for 40 hours without food (geek.com)
- Report – Taiwanese youth dies after gaming marathon (vg247.com)
- Diablo III player dies after 40 hour session (slashgear.com)
- Man Dies After Playing Diablo III for 40 Hours [Diablo] (kotaku.com)