This proves once again that nut-jobs come in all sizes, shapes and forms.
Twelve people were killed and 59 were injured in Aurora, Colo., during a sold-out midnight premier of the new Batman movie “The Dark Knight Rises” when 24-year-old James Holmes unloaded four weapons’ full of ammunition into the unsuspecting crowd.
The number of casualties makes the incident the largest mass shooting in U.S. history.
Holmes, a graduate student at a nearby college with a clean arrest record, entered the movie auditorium wearing a ballistics helmet, bullet-proof vest, bullet-proof leggings, gas mask and gloves. He detonated multiple smoke bombs, and then began firing at viewers in the sold-out auditorium, police said today.
According to police sources, Holmes told the officers arresting him that he was “The Joker,” referring to the villain in the second installment of the Batman movie trilogy, “The Dark Knight.” He also warned police that he had booby-trapped his apartment, leading officers to evacuate the Aurora apartment building.
- 14 Killed in Mass Shooting at New Batman Movie (voanews.com)
- Dark Night: Mass Shooting at Batman Movie Premiere Kills 14, Injures 50 (cnsnews.com)
- Police: 14 dead, 50 injured in Colorado Batman premiere shooting (wwltv.com)
- 14 Killed in Mass Shooting at Batman Premiere in Colorado (mashable.com)
- Massacre at Batman Movie in Aurora , Colorado. (chasinthenews.wordpress.com)