There has been a crazy obsession with these blood sucking mythical creatures. Why ? Because they remain young forever, they are powerful and they can regenerate. The discovery of a 700-year-old skeleton in Bulgaria—seen at the country’s National Museum of History in June—offers evidence that the fear of vampires is far older than Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
The “vampire” was found entombed among church ruins in the Black Sea town of Sozopol (map) earlier in the month. The skeleton had been stabbed in the chest with an iron rod (upper right), which was in the tomb next to the body.
- Pictures: Toothless “Vampire” Skeleton Unearthed in Bulgaria (news.nationalgeographic.com)
- ‘Vampire’ skeletons unearthed in Bulgaria (abc.net.au)
- ‘Vampire’ skeleton unearthed in Bulgaria, again (theprovince.com)
- ‘Vampire’ skeleton unearthed in Bulgaria, again (vancouversun.com)
- Vampire Skeletons Unearthed in Bulgaria (dreadcentral.com)