This is an absolutely great breakthrough. The more we understand how these objects operate the more we understand our own existence and how to use them to our advantage.
Groundbreaking images reveal the shape of a star as it dies. Team believe they have solved one of the great mysteries of astronomy
Astronomers believe they have discovered the shape of a supernova, the massive explosion that occurs when a star ends it life. The Japanese team now believe that stars explode in three dimensions, solving one of the great astronomical mysteries surrounding the death of stars.The team used the Faint Object Camera and Spectrograph (FOCAS) on the Subaru Telescope to make the finding, which they have also simulated with a computer.
- Subaru telescope reveals 3D structure of supernovae (phys.org)
- Astronomers snap a pic of a spiral galaxy that hosted two supernova explosions (slashgear.com)
- Supernova progenitor found? (phys.org)
- Supernova progenitor found? (esciencenews.com)
- Imaginary friends: Facebook reveals it has more than 83 MILLION fake accounts | Mail Online (nadernazemi.com)