Terrifying. But I am glad he is well and kicking. Defending weightlifting gold medalist Matthias Steiner walked away from a terrifying incidentTuesday when he dropped a barbell weighing 432 pounds on his neck during the Olympic 105+ kg competition.
The German was attempting to snatch 196 kg when his knees and arms buckled, causing the massive weight to fall on top of his head. Steiner collapsed under the barbell and instantaneously flopped while its mass bent his neck and head. He was immediately tended to by medical officials and somehow got to his feet, saluted the crowd and walked off under his own power.
He didn’t return to the competition. The Associated Press reports Steiner went to the hospital for precautionary X-rays.
- German Olympic weightlifter hit by barbell (nbcsports.msnbc.com)
- German weightlifter drops 432-pound barbell on his head, walks away (PHOTOS) (stltoday.com)
- D’oh!-eutschland … watch this German weightlifter drop 432 pounds on his neck (offthebench.nbcsports.com)
- Weightlifter Matthias Steiner Dropped 432 Pounds On The Back Of His Head, Somehow Got Back Up [Video] (deadspin.com)
- German Weightlifter Matthias Steiner Drops 432 Pounds on His Neck [VIDEO] (1045theteam.com)