This was said in 2006. Wow ! Talk about failed sanctions on a nation that is rightfully and independently pursuing its rightful place on the world arena. The country has more than 7000 years of history and was a world empire several times. The US and its cronies need to stop warmongering.
NEW YORK, Aug 8 (Reuters) – Standard Chartered Plc’s Group Finance Director Richard Meddings was the executive who allegedly cursed U.S. regulators in a conversation cited by a New York watchdog pursuing a money laundering case against the British bank, a source familiar with the situation said.
The New York State Department of Financial Services has threatened to strip Standard Chartered of its state banking licence, dubbing it a “rogue institution” that hid $250 billion of illegal transactions tied to Iran.
The bank strongly denies the figure, saying only a tiny proportion of the Iran-related transactions totalling less than $14 million were questionable under U.S. sanctions rules.
The source named 54-year-old Meddings, a possible future CEO of Standard Chartered, as the executive mentioned in what has been the most eye-catching piece of evidence quoted so far because of the colourful language allegedly used.
“You f—ing Americans. Who are you to tell us, the rest of the world that we’re not going to deal with Iranians ?” the U.S. regulator quoted an unidentified Standard Chartered executive director in London as saying in a conversation in 2006.
- REPORT: The ‘You F***ing Americans’ Banker At Standard Chartered Has Been Identified (investmentwatchblog.com)
- Finance chief Meddings was StanChart exec in anti-U.S. rant (uk.reuters.com)
- Shares dive as Standard Chartered reels (telegraph.co.uk)
- Standard Chartered finance chief Meddings was exec who made anti-U.S. rant (business.financialpost.com)
- Standard Chartered questions New York action (news.yahoo.com)