Good Job Ecuador. We all know that those sexual molestation charges are all Horse-doo doo.
Ecuador’s foreign minister announced on Thursday that they would grant asylum to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, defying threats by the British government to raid the Ecuadorean Embassy and extradite Assange to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning in connection with alleged rape and sexual molestation cases.
“We have decided to grant political asylum to him,” Ricardo Patino said at the end of a long televised statement that criticized the U.S. and U.K. governments for failing to protect Assange from political persecution.
“The countries that have a right to protect Assange have failed him,” Patino said. “[Assange] is victim of political persecution … If Assange is extradited to U.S., he will not receive a fair trial.”
- Ecuador says UK threatens to raid embassy over Assange – Yahoo! News (nadernazemi.com)
- Ecuador bristles at British ‘threat’ over Assange asylum (cbc.ca)
- Ecuador: British ‘threat’ over Assange asylum (nzherald.co.nz)
- Ecuador: Britain threatens arrest of WikiLeaks’ Assange (foxnews.com)
- Ecuador Decision on Assange Asylum Due (abcnews.go.com)