Talk about ruining a painting. It’s one thing to stage a do-it-yourself renovation on a table, mirror or painting found deep in the weeds of a yard sale.
It’s quite another to attempt a repair job on a one-of-a-kind 19 th century fresco by the Spanish painterwith a few broad brushstrokes.
Such was the lesson learned by an elderly member of thein Borja, in northeastern Spain. Her handiwork, or lack thereof, was discovered after the painter’s granddaughter donated the work, “Ecce Homo,” to the archive of religious paintings housed at the Centro de Estudios Borjano, also in Borja.
- Don’t quit your day job (gnosticbent.wordpress.com)
- Priceless Spanish fresco ruined by elderly do-it-yourself restorer (vancouversun.com)
- Christ fresco ruined by amateur restorer in Spain (euronews.com)
- Elderly woman ruins 19th century Spanish artwork (panarmenian.net)
- Restoration amateur ruins fresco (bbc.co.uk)