I would give a dollar to get a chance to visit inside the factory and check how everything is made. I am sure they won’t be any Oompa Loompas. Or maybe there are …
How many licks does it take to get to the center of Tootsie Roll Industries Inc. (TR)?
No one really knows. The 116-year-old company, run by one of America’s oldest CEOs, has become increasingly secretive over the years, severing nearly all of its connections to the outside world. Tootsie Roll shuns journalists, refuses to hold quarterly earnings calls, and issues crookedly-scanned PDFs for its earnings releases. The last securities industry analyst to maintain coverage of the company stopped last year because it was too hard to get information.
“I think the only way you can get a tour is by jumping over the fence and sneaking in,” said the last analyst to attempt the task, Elliott Schlang of Cleveland firm Great Lakes Review.
[More from WSJ.com: Delayed Development: 20-Somethings Blame the Brain]
The chairman and chief executive of Tootsie Roll is Melvin Gordon, a bespectacled man in his 90s who has headed the company for 50 years. He runs it with his 80-year-old wife, Ellen.
- Secret Societies the String Pullers? – Freemasonry, The Secret Empire (panoffolin.wordpress.com)
- Forget Apple, Forget Facebook: Here’s The One Company That Actually Terrifies Google Execs – Yahoo! Finance (nadernazemi.com)
- [e360] How Many Cups to Launch? (entrepreneurship.org)
- Apple Becomes Biggest Stock of All Time – Yahoo! Finance (nadernazemi.com)
- What’s the big secret Tootsie Roll is hiding? (bazaardaily.com)