You live by the gun, you die by the gun. Old grudges die hard.
A 69-year-old woman known throughout the drug world as the “Godmother of Cocaine” was gunned down by an assassin on a motorcycle in Colombia Monday, according to international news reports.
Griselda Blanco, once listed alongside Pablo Escobar as one of the “most notorious drug lords of the 1980s” by the Drug Enforcement Administration, was fatally shot as she left a butcher’s shop in western Medellin Monday afternoon, according to a report by Univision and El Colombiano. Colombia’s El Espectador reported authorities are looking for Blanco’s killers and are investigating possible motives for the killing.
Blanco served nearly 20 years in an American prison on drug trafficking charges and was at one point tied to as many as 40 murders in the U.S., according to a 1997 Senate testimony given by then-director of DEA international operations Michael Horn. Horn said that Blanco ordered a Florida mall shooting in 1979 that left two dead and four injured, and she apparently enjoyed her line of work.
- ‘Godmother of Cocaine’ Reportedly Killed (abcnews.go.com)
- ‘Godmother of Cocaine,’ Griselda Blanco, gunned down in Medellin, Colombia (worldnews.nbcnews.com)
- Griselda Blanco, “Cocaine Godmother,” Killed in Colombia (complex.com)
- Griselda Blanco, “The Godmother Of Cocaine” Murdered In Medellin (dayandadream.com)
- ‘Godmother of Cocaine,’ Griselda Blanco, gunned down in Medellin, Colombia (thegrio.com)