RIP to all those that died.
Documents show the U.S. was given more warnings about potential in the weeks leading up to 9/11, writes Vanity Faircontributing editor in a New York Times op-ed.
The documents predate the presidential daily briefing on Aug. 6, 2001, which said,Determined to Strike in U.S.”
“The administration’s reaction to what Mr. Bush was told in the weeks before that infamous briefing reflected significantly more negligence than has been disclosed,” he wrote. “In other words, the Aug. 6 document, for all of the controversy it provoked, is not nearly as shocking as the briefs that came before it.”
The direct warnings to Bush, he writes, date back to the spring of 2001. On May 1, the CIA told the White House that there was “a group presently in the United States” that was planning an attack. On June 22, a daily briefing described the attack as “imminent.” Administration officials, however, dismissed the warnings, saying that Osama bin Laden was merely feigning an attack to distract the U.S. from efforts against Saddam Hussein in Iraq.
- Report: Documents Disclose 9/11 Warnings – Yahoo! News (lissakr11humanelife.wordpress.com)
- New York Times report: Bush administration ignored early Bin Laden warnings (thegrio.com)
- Reporter: Bush ‘negligence’ ignored pre-9/11 warnings (rawstory.com)
- Ari Fleischer Uses ‘Truther’ Slur to Blunt Criticism That the Bush White House Received More Bin Laden Warnings Than Were Previously Known (reason.com)
- Report calls out Bush White House on 9/11 warnings (cbsnews.com)