Space the Final Frontier … well this is amazing.
It seems like we’re getting closer to the Star Trek future by leaps and bounds these days. We recently learned that a NASA scientist has set his sights on building a warp drive, and now news has come in that a team of physicists have built their own tractor beam in the lab. Now, it’s nothing to get too excited over — they used an optical beam to pull a 30 micrometer silica sphere suspended in water — but the demonstration proved that a tractor beam can actually exist.
- Physicists demonstrate an actual tractor beam in the lab (io9.com)
- Physicists Invent (Tiny) Working Tractor Beam, World Becomes Instantly More Awesome (geekosystem.com)
- NYU Professors Invent Real-Life Star Trek Tractor Beam (mashable.com)
- Physicists create real life tractor beam using lasers (mnn.com)
- Physics duo create tractor beam using dual Bessel beams (alexrudloff.com)